Cold Potato Soup Recipe A.K.A Vichyssoise
This cold potato soup is a French recipe called Vichyssoise that's very cooling on a hot summer day. Oh and might I add that it's delicious too.
- 3 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 3 TBS. Butter
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Large Potatoes, Cubed
- 2 Leeks, Sliced
- 3 C. Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp. White Pepper
- 1 Small Red Onion, Chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
- Optional -Garnish- 3 Fresh Chives
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 Large Frying Pan
- Food Processor or Anything that will Mince
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large Bowl
Cold Potato Soup Recipe.
- Thinly Slice 2 Leeks, only use the white part of the leeks.
- Chop 1 small red onion and 3 celery stalks, to save some time you can use a food processor.
- Mince 2 Garlic cloves.
- Peel and cube 3 large potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
- For the garnish take 3 fresh chives and cut them long ways into long strips you should be able to get about 3 strips out of each chive.
Cooking your Soup.
This soup could also be called a cold potato leek soup recipe.
- Melt 3 TBS. butter in a large frying pan on low heat.
- Now add the sliced leeks, chopped red onion, chopped celery and minced garlic cloves to the frying pan and saute on low heat until the garlic, and leeks are translucent.
Doing this will add more flavor to the soup by slowly pulling out all the flavorful juices. Do not brown them.
- After the Vegetables are just right you can add them and any juices to the large pot. Then add 3 C. cold chicken broth to the pot.
Adding cold broth instead of warm or hot helps pull out the flavor even more.
TIP:You can add a small amount of cold water (1/2 C.) to the pot first if your broth is not cold.
- Now add the cubed potatoes, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. white pepper, mix well and turn the heat on medium and simmer about 30 minutes covered or until the potatoes are tender. Stirring Occasionally
- When the potatoes are tender use a food processor to chop everything up. Don't make it too smooth we don't want puree'.
- Now pour the partially finished cold potato soup in to a large bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- Before serving add 1 C. Heavy whipping cream to the soup and mix it in well, add more cream if you wish to make it thinner.
- But last and some times not least we have the garnish. Three thin strips of chives should make this soup look beautiful.
Return To Potato Soup Recipes from
this Cold Potato Soup Recipe
Return to Home Page from this
Cold Potato Soup Recipe